Thursday 21 May 2009

Two In The Campagna

Extracts on one of my Favourite poems by Robert Browning;





I.
I wonder do you feel to-day
As I have felt since, hand in hand,
We sat down on the grass, to stray
In spirit better through the land,
This morn of Rome and May?

VIII.
I would that you were all to me,
You that are just so much, no more.
Nor yours nor mine, nor slave nor free!
Where does the fault lie? What the core
O' the wound, since wound must be?


XII.
Just when I seemed about to learn!
Where is the thread now? Off again!
The old trick! Only I discern--
Infinite passion, and the pain
Of finite hearts that yearn.


Breathtaking stuff, worth checking out if you've never read anything by him, his dramatic monologues are breathtaking.


Other poems worth looking at;
Prophyria's Lover, Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister and Andrea Del Sarto


No comments: